Ifscapes travels into the multiverse (explored in The Bible and the Holographic Universe from a non-fiction perspective), but as the series shows, there's a lot to be said about travel into the universe! If you haven't heard, May 5, 2023 is National Space Day.
Some fast facts about space:
- "outer space" popularly begins at the the Kármán line, about 62 miles above the surface of Earth.
- space is a deep vacuum, but not a perfect one.
- if two pieces of one type of metal touch each other in space, the two pieces stick together in a process called cold welding.
- the first spacewalks occurred in 1965.
- it takes Jupiter almost 12 years to orbit the sun.
- 25 of Uranus's 27 moons are named after characters from William Shakespeare's works.
- Voyager I was launched in 1977 and crossed into interstellar space in 2012.
- Alpha Centauri is the star system nearest to us.
- the first cat to fly in space was the French feline Félicette (1963).
- Lucian of Samosata (second century A.D.) wrote about a space battle in his True History.
Post a Comment